Thursday, December 22, 2005

eve



when the sunbeams crack
and the world goes black
shadows smirk
behind my back

and every branch of bush and tree
becomes my mortal enemy
why o why
do you torment me?

neon signs screaming
every glass shard gleaming
somebody get me out of here!
tell me please that i am dreaming

and the night sounds
are all around
but my chest drones them out
with it's steady pound

twelve hours of happiness
have vanished in this emptiness
and now, though terrified
i accept the night's caress

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a chapter in EUROPE CENTRAL by William Vollmann titled Woman with Dead Child in which he writes about Kathe Kollwitz and her work (if you don't already know it). Worth a read. You can get it at the library. Or if you're feeling rich, buy it in paperback. If you do check it out and go on to look at Kollwitz's work (probably easy enough to find on the net)you may be moved.

Anonymous said...

I apologize to Kollwitz and you. Thought at first the image was yours.

s.J. said...

ahh, the beauty of the internet. you can copy and paste anything you want, free of charge.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastrami Kid,

I just wrote a long answer to yours but pressed the wrong button and it evaporated into protonland. I'd try to re-do it, but age creeps in around 9:30 p.m.

Next time.

Be well!

s.J. said...

pastrami kid???
are you talking about my dad?
if affimative, let it be known that we are related by blood and not by trade.
i am technically only 51% him, not a sort of mini-me.
just as i would not refer to your child as 'the publisher tyke' (assuming my assumptions are correct), do not EVER call me by any name 'inherited' from my parents' professions or forenames.

s.J. may stand for many things, but salami jr. ain't one of them.

s.J. said...

btw, no hard feelings.
no way you could have known.
sorry for blowing up like that, but you hit a raw nerve*.

*do not make the mistake again; ok?